Hue University, formerly known as The University of Hue, was initially established in March 1957. After the reunification of the country in 1975, independent colleges were established in Hue on the basis of the existing faculties of The University of Hue. According to the Government Decree No. 30/CP dated 4 April 1994, Hue University was born by reorganizing all colleges in Hue. Hue University is responsible for training students at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels to do research and apply science and technology within multiple disciplines to serve the construction and development of Vietnam, and particularly the Central and Western Highlands of Vietnam.